Thursday, June 15, 2006

The secret's in the sauce

I things are diffrent here. I realized this the second day here in the kitchen when I learned about the french bechamel sauce and we made a lot of Bechamel sauce.
One of the most versitile sauces in the French kitchen is the Bechamel. It is the cream in polet a la creme, it is the ricotta in the lasagna, it is the sauce in the gratin, it is the base for macaroni and cheese.
Melt the butter, remove from heat, add flour salt and pepper until it forms a paste, slowly add cream and return heat. Stir constantly until sauce thinkens to the right consistancy.
The French have a long histroy with the Bechamel. The women wanted a use for the milk that they were unsure about its edibility. The courts of the nobles were graced with this sauce before the reign of the Sun King, Louis XIV. The French have a long and rich history with this classic and versitile sauce.
So while the Americans were still finding their continent the French were discovering the 101 ways to use their culinary delight... the Bechamel.

No comments: